Teaching Artist Training 2023
Applications are now closed
The Music Center is proud to offer once again its renowned Teaching Artist Training program. The course has been updated to include new best practices and is designed to offer a variety of in-person, virtual, and independent study components to meet adult learning needs and schedules. This 14-week session will provide participants with the skills and knowledge to begin or refine their work as teaching artists in K-12 settings as well as various community settings. Guided by Music Center Master Teaching Artists Madeleine Dahm, Andrew Grueschow, Lynn Okimura and Chisa Yamaguchi, participants will engage in arts integrated approaches and learn strategies to implement them in schools, communities and various settings drawing from their own artistic strengths.
The average time commitment for this course is approximately 4 hours a week.
- In-person and virtual sessions
- Flexible and asynchronous lessons
- Access to resources and lesson plan templates
- Small discipline-based cohorts with one-to-one and small group mentoring
- Supported lesson practice spaces and interaction with peers and instructors
- Opportunity to teach a lesson (in person or virtually) with coaching and debriefing from Music Center Master Teaching Artist Mentors
- A final in-person session that includes speakers from various arts organizations to support networking and orientation to different working environments
Saturdays, 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
January 21, 28, February 4, 11, March 4 and April 22, 2023
at The Music Center, 135 N Grand Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90012
Wednesdays (dates TBA)
$250 including materials, light snacks & parking