The Spotlight Academy Registration is now Closed
Thank you so much for your interest. Due to overwhelming demand, our registraton is now closed. Please check back with us next year. To be added to our mailing list, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Spotlight Academy is an annual free day of performing arts workshops for students, parents and teachers at The Music Center, held each Fall!
Here's a list of classes that will be offered this year:
Vocalists: What can you do with a Music degree? Presented by MajoringinMusic.com
- What can a vocalist actually major in?
- How to find the best schools to apply to
- Career options for vocalists in a rapidly changing world of music
- Double majors? Music minors? What you need to know
- What if you’re not a prodigy? Is there still a place for you?
What are Jazz and Classical Instrumental College Panels looking for?
- Applying and getting into a college music program
- Audition and application strategies
- What to look for in a college or conservatory music program and teacher. How to narrow college choices.
Kick Start Your Acting Career! Presented by Center Theatre Group
- The acting audition process, headshots, casting
- Successful interviews for college and career
- Casting do and don’ts
Non-Classical Dance and Ballet – College, Commercial and Companies
- How to stand apart in an audition and be noticed
- What is artistry and how do I bring it to my work
- What are dance college panels looking for and how to make a great audition video
- Summer and Winter intensives
- Marketing yourself – sponsors, social media and branding
- Dance companies – choosing the right one
- Commercial work and getting an agent
- Nutrition, physical and emotional health
- Being a teenager in the adult world of dance
Instrumentalists: What can you do with a Music degree? Presented by MajoringinMusic.com
- What can an instrumentalist actually major in?
- How to find the best schools to apply to
- Career options for instrumentalists in a rapidly changing world of music
- Should you double major?
- What if you’re not the top student in your orchestra or band?
What are Vocal College Panels looking for?
- Presentation and attitude; when does your audition really start?
- Material choices
- How to deal with rejection and acceptance
- Dressing appropriately and sealing the deal
The Art of Choosing a Monologue and Auditioning Techniques Presented by Center Theatre Group
- Choosing the right material for you
- How to approach the text and break it down
- Audition techniques
Nuts and Bolts: Paying for School for music majors with general info for all art forms - Presented by MajoringinMusic.com; Don’t freak out!! We’ll break it down for you so you can easily understand and find solutions
- The latest on loans, FAFSA and how to get the help you need
- Merit scholarships vs. need-based - what do you need to do to qualify? What if you don’t get what you need?
- Working and going to school - the pros and cons
- Financial Readiness –preparing family finances in advance for the college years
How To Make a Great Audition Video
- Creative ways to make an audition video
- The difference between college and competition audition videos
- Lighting and sound will make or break you
- What college and competition panels are looking for
- Tips for making an AWESOME video
What I wish I would have known before going to college! Presented by MajoringinMusic.com
A panel of current college students will share their best tips and answer your questions about:
- Surviving auditions
- Getting what you really need from college visits
- Picking a major
- Juggling school, practicing, rehearsing, performing – and the rest of life
- Finding great career opportunities while you’re in college
The Calming Clinic – How to deal with nerves in auditions and performance
- Learn to release tension that keeps you from great performance and auditions
- Discover how your body works so that you're more comfortable, confident, and present
- Learn breathing exercises that bring ease and relaxation to your work
- Let go of negative repetitive thoughts and transform your process
Musical Theater Morsels - I Wanna Be on Broadway, but I need a good song (or 2)
- Choose the best audition songs for you
- Know Thyself: age, strengths, vocal range, style, audience!
- Songs I love vs. songs that I’m good at, and how to tell the difference
- Different material for different auditions
- How to edit your song and keep your audience engaged
- Breaking the song down, beginning, middle and end