The Spotlight Academy Registration is now Closed
Our next Spotlight Academy will take place on Sunday, September 30, 2018. To be added to our mailing list, email us at email@example.com.
The Spotlight Academy is an annual free day of performing arts workshops for students, parents and teachers at The Music Center, held each Fall!
Here's a list of classes that were offered last year:
Vocalists: What can you do with a Music degree? Presented by MajoringinMusic.com
- What can a vocalist actually major in?
- How to find the best schools to apply to
- Career options for vocalists in a rapidly changing world of music
- Double majors? Music minors? What you need to know
- What if you’re not a prodigy? Is there still a place for you?
What are Jazz and Classical Instrumental College Panels looking for?
- Applying and getting into a college music program
- Audition and application strategies
- What to look for in a college or conservatory music program and teacher. How to narrow college choices.
Kick Start Your Acting Career! Presented by Center Theatre Group
- The acting audition process, headshots, casting
- Successful interviews for college and career
- Casting do and don’ts
Non-Classical Dance and Ballet – College, Commercial and Companies
- How to stand apart in an audition and be noticed
- What is artistry and how do I bring it to my work
- What are dance college panels looking for and how to make a great audition video
- Summer and Winter intensives
- Marketing yourself – sponsors, social media and branding
- Dance companies – choosing the right one
- Commercial work and getting an agent
- Nutrition, physical and emotional health
- Being a teenager in the adult world of dance
Instrumentalists: What can you do with a Music degree? Presented by MajoringinMusic.com
- What can an instrumentalist actually major in?
- How to find the best schools to apply to
- Career options for instrumentalists in a rapidly changing world of music
- Should you double major?
- What if you’re not the top student in your orchestra or band?
What are Vocal College Panels looking for?
- Presentation and attitude; when does your audition really start?
- Material choices
- How to deal with rejection and acceptance
- Dressing appropriately and sealing the deal
The Art of Choosing a Monologue and Auditioning Techniques Presented by Center Theatre Group
- Choosing the right material for you
- How to approach the text and break it down
- Audition techniques
Nuts and Bolts: Paying for School for music majors with general info for all art forms - Presented by MajoringinMusic.com; Don’t freak out!! We’ll break it down for you so you can easily understand and find solutions
- The latest on loans, FAFSA and how to get the help you need
- Merit scholarships vs. need-based - what do you need to do to qualify? What if you don’t get what you need?
- Working and going to school - the pros and cons
- Financial Readiness –preparing family finances in advance for the college years
How To Make a Great Audition Video
- Creative ways to make an audition video
- The difference between college and competition audition videos
- Lighting and sound will make or break you
- What college and competition panels are looking for
- Tips for making an AWESOME video
What I wish I would have known before going to college! Presented by MajoringinMusic.com
A panel of current college students will share their best tips and answer your questions about:
- Surviving auditions
- Getting what you really need from college visits
- Picking a major
- Juggling school, practicing, rehearsing, performing – and the rest of life
- Finding great career opportunities while you’re in college
The Calming Clinic – How to deal with nerves in auditions and performance
- Learn to release tension that keeps you from great performance and auditions
- Discover how your body works so that you're more comfortable, confident, and present
- Learn breathing exercises that bring ease and relaxation to your work
- Let go of negative repetitive thoughts and transform your process
Musical Theater Morsels - I Wanna Be on Broadway, but I need a good song (or 2)
- Choose the best audition songs for you
- Know Thyself: age, strengths, vocal range, style, audience!
- Songs I love vs. songs that I’m good at, and how to tell the difference
- Different material for different auditions
- How to edit your song and keep your audience engaged
- Breaking the song down, beginning, middle and end