Thursday, July 4, 2019
3:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
LOS ANGELES (May 30, 2019) – Taking L.A. County’s largest free July 4th celebration to new heights, the seventh annual Grand Park + The Music Center’s 4th of July Block Party will add a 75-foot Ferris wheel (tickets required), offering attendees spectacular views of Downtown Los Angeles and a bird’s-eye view of the expansive festivities. The family-friendly event will now cover more than six city blocks, from Los Angeles Street to Grand Avenue and from Temple to Third Street and feature all the hallmarks of a classic Independence Day celebration. From 3:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., attendees will enjoy picnicking, music and dancing and will cap off the celebration with Downtown L.A.’s largest fireworks show; launched from the rooftop of The Music Center’s iconic Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, the colorful display will be visible throughout the surrounding neighborhoods.
Infusing sounds of Boogaloo, Latin Soul, Salsa and Latin Funk, hometown favorite Boogaloo Assassins, will headline a continuous line-up of free performances throughout the afternoon and into the evening. Attendees will move and groove to some of L.A.’s most sought-after DJs and live bands performing on two high-profile stages. Park-goers will also enjoy a variety of food choices for purchase from L.A.’s favorite gourmet food trucks, including tacos, barbecue, burgers, vegan, sweets and more.
“We’re proud to host the county’s largest celebration where Angelenos can gather and celebrate together with food, fireworks and fun, and now, a Ferris wheel,” said Rachel Moore, president and CEO, The Music Center. “With 50,000 attendees last year, Grand Park + The Music Center’s 4th of July Block Party doubled the size of the crowd from the previous year.”
“More than 10 local artists will be performing at this year’s July 4th celebration, offering diverse musical representations that all generations can enjoy,” continued Marty Preciado, program manager for Grand Park. “We’re excited to have one of L.A.’s mainstay bands Boogaloo Assassins as our headliner; their blend of Afro-Latin rhythms, horn-accented arrangements and soulful vocals are going to delight our guests with their homage to the past, yet wrapped in a modern sound that connects the many musical origins of Angeleno communities.”
The public is encouraged to take public transportation and can enter the event through five entrances
located on Hill Street, 2nd Street and 1st Street (see page 2 for cross streets). All bags will be checked upon entry. Alcohol will not be sold onsite, and there will be a no tolerance policy for any alcohol brought to the event. Although food is available for purchase, attendees may bring snacks, food, sealed juice boxes and empty reusable non-glass water containers. Small bags and strollers are allowed inside the event, and all pets must be kept on leashes. Visit http://grandparkla.org/4thofjuly for more details and a list of prohibited items at Grand Park + The Music Center’s 4th of July Block Party.
SCHEDULE: (All artists and set times subject to change.)
THE BACKYARD STAGE (Grand Park’s Event Lawn next to City Hall, between Broadway and Spring Street) 3:00 – 4:15 p.m.: DJ Linafornia
4:15 – 5:00 p.m.: The Delirians
5:00 – 5:30 p.m.: DJ Linafornia
5:30 – 6:15 p.m.: Earth Arrow
6:15 – 6:45 p.m.: DJ Linafornia
6:45 – 7:30 p.m.: Victoria La Mala
7:30 – 8:00 p.m.: DJ Linafornia
8:00 – 9:00 p.m.: Boogaloo Assassins
9:00 – 9:15 p.m.: Fireworks (from the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion)
9:15 – 9:30 p.m.: DJ Linafornia
THE FRONT YARD STAGE (Grand Park’s Performance Lawn between Grand Avenue and Hill Street)
3:00 – 4:30 p.m.: South Soul Spinners
4:30 – 6:00 p.m.: Blaq Pages
6:00 – 7:30 p.m.: foreigner
7:30 – 9:00 p.m.: DJ Lez Lee
9:00 – 9:15 p.m.: Fireworks (from the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion)
The 75-ft Ferris Wheel will be located at Broadway Street between Temple and First Street. Tickets are $3 for a single rider; $5 for two riders. Minimum height requirement to ride is 36 inches.
ENTRANCES TO THE EVENT
There will be four entrances into the park for the event:
- Hill Street and Temple Street
- 2nd Street and Hill Street
- 1st Street and Grand Avenue
- 1st Street and Los Angeles Street
TRANSPORTATION AND PARKING
- Metro Access: Visitors to Grand Park can travel via the Metro Red/Purple Lines to Civic Center/Park station (use the 1st Street exit; the Temple Street exit is open only for ADA/elevator access), or via the Gold Line to Union Station (a 7-12-minute walk toward City Hall). Metro users are encouraged to load their TAP card with round trip fare in advance, either online or on their way in to the station, in order to bypass the TAP vending machine lines later in the evening.
- Bicycle/Scooter Parking: L.A. County’s Bicycle Coalition’s bike valet will be available on the intersection of 2nd Street and Hill Street.
- Parking Information: Please see this link for a detailed interactive parking map: http://bit.ly/july4closures
EVENT FACTS & POLICIES:
- Grand Park Pre-Event Closure: The park will close on Wednesday, July 3, 2019, at 10:00 p.m. until 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 4, 2019.
- The following streets will be closed for the event: (as of May 28, 2019)
- Beverage Policy: Alcohol will not be sold onsite, and there will be a no tolerance policy for any alcohol brought to the event. All bags will be checked upon entry.
- Getting Through Bag Check: All bags will be checked upon entry to the event space.
- The Following is Prohibited: Public intoxication, rollerblading, skateboarding, smoking, vaping, unauthorized vending, unleashed animals, smart boarding, outside solicitation, staking objects to ground, drone operation, amplified noise and bicycles/scooters (may be parked outside of event at 2nd and Hill Streets).
- Prohibited Items: Bags and backpacks measuring larger than standard backpack size (16.75 inches x 13 inches x 8.5 inches), coolers, chairs, outside alcoholic beverages, sealed or open beverage bottles with liquid including water (fountains and water for purchase will be available), selfie sticks, glass, smartboards, projection devices, narcotics, tents, firecrackers, explosives, sparklers, lighters, matches, firearms/weapons, identity-covering costumes, confetti cannons, generators, drones, printed signage measuring larger than 8.5 inches by x 11 inches, props, flag poles, handheld umbrellas and sticks.
- Items Allowed: Snacks, food, sealed juice boxes, small bags, strollers, and empty reusable non-glass water containers.
- Pets: All pets must be kept on leashes. Pet owners should be mindful if a pet is sensitive to fireworks and crowds. The park’s off-leash dog park will be closed July 3, 2019 at 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. on July 5, 2019.
# # #