RENT THE DOCUMENTARY
Film rental available September 3–30, 2020.
Watch the documentary through Magnolia Pictures for $12! Your rental will include the documentary plus two exclusive extras:
- Film of an interview Congressman Lewis gave to Oprah Winfrey shortly before his death earlier this year.
- One-hour panel, recorded in July between the film's director, Dawn Porter, and two of the other orignal Freedom Riders, Dr. Bernard Lafayette and Dr. Rip Patton.
With every rental, Magnolia Pictures will make a contribution to The Music Center.
Rent the film
Celebrate an icon who spent his life getting into Good Trouble!
Join audiences across the country and from over 50 performing arts centers in a nationwide watch of the riveting new documentary John Lewis: Good Trouble. After watching the film, join the free live virtual panel on September 21, 2020.
Directed by acclaimed filmmaker Dawn Porter, John Lewis: Good Trouble chronicles the life and career of the legendary civil rights activist and Democratic Representative from Georgia, and celebrates his 60-plus years of social activism and legislative action on civil rights, voting rights, gun control, health-care reform and immigration. Featuring both rare archival footage and exclusive interviews with the late Congressman, Porter explores his childhood experiences, his inspiring family and his fateful meeting with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in 1957. In addition to her interviews with Lewis and his family, Porter’s primarily cinéma verité film also includes interviews with political leaders, Congressional colleagues and other people who figured prominently in his life.
How to Rent the Film
- Access the film through the rental link: click here
- Click on the “UNLOCK NOW” button
- Enter your email address or login using Facebook
- If you entered your email address, continue by entering your full name, password and password confirmation. Click on “CREATE ACCOUNT” once all your information has been entered.
- Add a payment method.
- Once payment method is added, click on the “UNLOCK NOW” button.
- A “WATCH NOW” button should appear on the page.
- You will have 30 days to start watching and 72 hours to finish watching once started.
Join the Free Virtual Panel
September 21, 2020, 4:00 p.m. PDT
Join the free virtual panel discussion about Representative Lewis’s legacy of fearless protest and how we can keep his campaign for justice alive. Panelists include: Dawn Porter, the film's director; Ras J. Baraka, Mayor of Newark, NJ; Khalil Gibran Muhammad, Professor of History, Race and Public Policy at Harvard Kennedy School and Director of the Institutional Antiracism and Accountability Project; and Lonnie G. Bunch III, Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. U.S. Senator from New Jersey, Cory Booker, will provide opening remarks.
Register for the free Zoom panel: click here
The rental of the film is not required to join the interactive Zoom panel. The panel is limited to 10,000 participants; if the panel is full, you can still watch the discussion on The Music Center's Facebook page at facebook.com/MusicCenterLA
The panel is produced by New Jersey Performing Arts Center, Newark, NJ.