Dance in Focus Film Festival: REFLECTIONS
Film submissions now closed
Inspired by the work of Frida Kahlo along with the biographical ballet Frida, created by Annabelle Lopez Ochoa for Dutch National Ballet, the Dance in Focus Film Festival: REFLECTIONS invites dance filmmakers in Southern California to create and submit dance films exploring autobiography and self-portraiture. Film submissions should reflect the artists’ own creative voice and personality, illuminating their artistic vision or life story through imagery and dance.
Dance in Focus: REFLECTIONS will complement The Music Center’s presentation of the U.S. premiere of Frida performed by Dutch National Ballet (July 14–16 at The Music Center’s Dorothy Chandler Pavilion). The theme of the film festival pays tribute to iconic artist Frida Kahlo, who drew upon eclectic aspects of cultures, and her own experiences to create nearly six dozen self-portraits in her lifetime.
Presented by The Music Center in association with Dance Camera West
- Open to Southern California residents.
- Filmmakers may submit more than one film.
- All dance-based films of any style will be considered.
- Film submissions are highly encouraged to explore autobiography and self-portraiture, as inspired by the iconic works of Mexican artist Frida Kahlo.
- Maximum length of films is 12 minutes.
- All films submitted must be completed at the time of submission.
- Recording of live stage performances WILL NOT be accepted.
- All films must be submitted by May 8, 2023.
Filmmakers can submit to one of three categories:
- High school*
- Students (18 years of age or older)
- Professional (18 years of age or older)
* Filmmakers under the age of 18 require the consent of their legal guardian to participate.
All films should be:
- 1920x1080 px
- MPH (H.264)
Acceptable file format: MOV
Full resolution films must be made available via private downloadable links (Dropbox or Google drive preferred) with all password protection removed.
A panel of esteemed dance and film industry professionals will choose two finalists from each category. Each finalist will receive an award of $500, and their film will be shown to the public from July 12-16, 2023, on Jerry Moss Plaza at The Music Center and via The Music Center's website.
Film Screenings on Jerry Moss Plaza
Selected films will be shown to the public from July 12-16, 2023, on Jerry Moss Plaza at The Music Center and via The Music Center's website.
Presented by The Music Center in Association With Dance Camera West
Dutch National Ballet at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion
July 14-16, 2023
Dutch National Ballet makes its exciting Music Center debut with the U.S. premiere of Frida, an homage to Mexican artist Frida Kahlo by Colombian-Belgian choreographer Annabelle Lopez Ochoa.