SLEEPLESS: THE MUSIC CENTER AFTER HOURS
Saturday, February 9, 2019
11:30 p.m. – 3:00 a.m.
The Music Center's Dorothy Chandler Pavilion
Sleepless: The Music Center After Hours
Dress to impress, grab your friends and celebrate the power of womxn at Sleepless: The Music Center After Hours - Quinceañera Reimagined. This Sleepless honors, celebrates and re-invents the Quinceañera, using the rituals and symbols associated with this coming-of-age tradition in Latinx communities. Sleepless: Quinceañera Reimagined takes on and plays with issues of class, gender and sexuality, and asserts the power of womxn. The Music Center’s Dorothy Chandler Pavilion is the place for a one-of-a-kind quince años experience, turning the tradition on its head, with DJs, live bands, dance parties, art installations, and more.
Sleepless: The Music Center After Hours is a series of late-night immersive art happenings that take place in the various spaces of The Music Center’s theaters and concert halls. Sleepless invites Los Angeles-based artists to reimagine The Music Center experience through live music, performance, and art.
- Begin your quinceañeara-inspired evening with tiaras and refreshments while you experience artist Martha Carillo’s interpretation of La Ultima Muñeca (“the last doll”), curated by Self Help Graphics.
- Swoon to Mariachi serenades by the all-women collective Las Colibrí.
- Relive moments from your past through favorite quince dances created with a modern spin by award-winning choreographer Leslie Ferreira.
- Glam it up at The Sustainable Sparkle Bar before making your grand entrance at the Sleepless Salon.
- Dance to the beats of a powerhouse lineup of bilingual womxn voices featuring Punk Rock icon Alice Bag; the Jazz and Mariachi music of singer-songwriter and vocalist Nancy Sanchez; and live sets by DJ collective Chulita Vinyl Club.
- Pay homage to the missing women of Juarez and trans womxn who did not have the opportunity to celebrate their own quinceañeras at the Recuerdo Making Station by artist collective Ni Santas, curated by Self Help Graphics.
- Snap the ultimate selfie or Insta-worthy shot with every member of your court at Jazmin Urrea’s art installation Jazmin’s Quince Años.
- Groove to the dance party rhythms of DJ Sizzle Fantastic, DJ Funky Caramelo and DJ Zuri, spinning Cumbia and AfroLatinX music curated by Cumbiaton L.A.
Party-inspired cocktails and small bites available for purchase.
Note: Information and artists subject to change.
Tickets are non-transferable and not exchangeable.