Spotlight Mastery Classes
Our Spotlight mastery classes allow students to work on a more intense level with teachers they may not normally have access to. The Music Center provides Spotlight Semifinalists with the opportunity to present their work while gaining feedback on their performance. This provides for a richer learning experience. Specific mastery classes are open to all participating students, parents and teachers to observe. All our mastery class teachers have enjoyed illustrious careers and now share their expertise with our students. Past master class teachers have included Broadway star Karen Morrow; jazz icon Arturo Sandoval; Artistic Director of the San Francisco Ballet Helgi Tomasson; So You Think You Can Dance choreographer Jae Blaze; Metropolitan Opera star Cynthia Munzer, and members of LA Phil.
2023 Mastery Class Teachers
- Carla Renata, award-winning Broadway and TV actor; Host of The Curvy Film Critic.
- Sascha Radestsky, Artistic Director of American Ballet Theatre Studio Company; soloist, American Ballet Theatre
- Bernadene Blaha, Piano; Professor, Keyboard Studies, USC Thornton School of Music
- Steven Becknell, French Horn; Faculty, Winds & Percussion, USC Thornton School of Music
- Ben Hong, Cello, Associate Principal, LA Phil
- Carolyn Hove, Oboe, English Horn soloist, LA Phil
- Catherine Karoly, Flute, Associate Principal, LA Phil; Faculty, Winds & Percussion, USC Thornton School of Music
- Shawn Mouser, Bassoon, Associate Principal, LA Phil
- Joann Turovsky, Harp, Principal, Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra; Adjunct Professor, Strings, USC Thornton School of Music
- Bing Wang, Associate Concertmaster, LA Phil
- Suzanna Guzmán, Grammy-nominated mezzo-soprano; Original Associate Artist of LA Opera
- Kyle Abraham, Claude and Alfred Mann Endowed Professor of Dance, Contemporary, Repertory, USC Glorya Kaufman School of Dance; Founding Director Abraham.In.Motion.
- Paul Cartwright, Violin, recording artist; LA Phil soloist at the Hollywood Bowl
- William Cunliffe, Piano, Grammy Award-winning composer, arranger, pianist
- Alexander Iles, Trombone, Artist & Clinician; Faculty, Cal Arts, Azusa Pacific College, CSUN
- Ronald McCurdy, Trumpet; Professor, Jazz Studies, USC Thornton School of Music; Assistant Dean
- Roy McCurdy, Drums, Faculty, Jazz Studies, USC Thornton School of Music; Recording artist
- Darek Oleszkiewicz, Bass; Faculty, Jazz Studies, USC Thornton School of Music
- Bob Sheppard. Saxophone; Faculty, Jazz Studies, USC Thornton School of Music; Recording artist
- Nick Stoubis, Guitar; Professor, Studio Guitar & Popular Music; Chair of Studio Guitar Program, USC Thornton School of Music
- Douglas Sills, Broadway and TV Actor; HBO’s The Gilded Age; Tony & Drama Desk Award nominations