If you participated in last year's program and were selected to be a Semifinalist or Honorable Mention in January 2019, you will bypass the Preliminary 1 video audition and advance to Preliminary 2 to schedule your live audition.
What’s required of me for my Jazz Instrumental Preliminary 1 video audition
All students begin with a Preliminary 1 video audition. Those scoring highest will advance to Preliminary 2 live auditions in December 2019. Those scoring highest after Preliminary 2 will advance to the Semifinals. If selected to advance to Preliminary 2, you will play 2 songs for your live audition
Please memorize and play one song from the required list below
- Song must be limited to 3 minutes
- You MUST include improvisation in your performance
- The instrument to be judged should predominate
- Song form should consist of: Melody, 2 choruses of improvised solo, Melody
- Drummers should play 1-2 choruses of trading as well as 1-2 choruses of unaccompanied solo over the form of the tune
Jazz required list: (Please choose one song to play for your video submission)
All The Things You Are
Body & Soul
I Got Rhythm (or contrafact)
I’ll Remember April
Straight, No Chaser (Monk) (three or four choruses on this piece, blues)
Nica’s Dream (Silver)
Con Alma (Gillespie)
- A back-up accompanist is required. Your back-up support must include one to three additional musicians
- Backing tracks, such as the Aebersold tracks, are permitted. The backing tracks must not have more than three musicians; big band backing tracks are not allowed
Guidelines for Recording Your Audition
- Your recording device can be a cell phone, tablet, camera, etc. You do NOT have to rent fancy recording equipment. We will refer to the recording devices as "cameras"
- Use a fixed point of view for your camera with you being the main focus. Shoot straight on, leaving the camera in one location. Do not pan or move the camera. Camera should be no closer than waist up
- Hands and fingers must be visable
- Ensure recording captures good quality image
- Ensure recording equipment has the ability to capture good sound quality. Check for good balance and blend
- Make sure there is 1-3 seconds of silence before the beginning of the piece
- No sound enhancements are allowed
- When recording with a tablet or cellphone, use the landscape/horizontal mode for best results
How To Submit Your Audition Video
- After you have recorded your piece, watch it in playback to make sure you can be seen and the music heard
- Save and name your file and upload into application
- When uploading, be sure to upload to your computer first and verify that image is upright (not sideways) and plays smoothly
- Please do not do any of the following as it may disqualify you:
- Do not edit within a piece; no effects or post performance alterations
- Do not use special effects, dissolves, fades or wipes
- Do not submit pre-recorded live performances, such as recitals, concerts, or competitions
What The Judges Are looking for
- Improvisation - the improvisation ability to create new motifs, melodies, and rhythms that are suggested by the harmonic structure (chord progression) of the composition
- Tone Production - the ability to achieve a quality of sound appropriate to the instrument and to the style of the music
- Technique - the degree to which the performer has acquired control of the instrument
- Rhythm - the ability to establish, maintain, and project rhythms with a wide range of complexity
- Intonation - proper tuning of the instrument and in tune playing
- Interpretation - the ability to project a convincing conception of the selection
- Phrasing - sensitivity to the need for phrasing and the ability to execute it
Please be sure you follow all requirements related to your application. Failure to comply with any of the requirements listed below may result in disqualification during the review process and/or make your application ineligible for an award.
Click here to open the Guidelines in another tab where a printable version is available.
TO START YOUR SPOTLIGHT APPLICATION, CLICK HERE.
If your application is already open, simply click on the Acceptd tab on your computer to return to it.
Got Questions??? Email us at email@example.com