A SPACE TO PLAY.
Have you ever wondered what it would feel like to make music outdoors? Step outside and discover something new with Public Practice. Amateur musicians of every background come to The Music Center and Grand Park to practice their instruments among trees, fountains, traffic and random passersby, creating a unique space to play their music.
APPLY ONLINE: February 15 to March 15, 2014
Early applications are encouraged.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
A unique and informal music-making opportunity...
- Apply to participate as a solo musician.
- Non-professional instrumentalists are then selected to PRACTICE music outdoors in surprising outdoor public spaces at The Music Center and in Grand Park.
- Practice a new piece of music, a new skill/technique, or a new instrument - warm-ups, scales, riffs, patterns, improvisation, starts/stops and mistakes allowed.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
- Open to SOLO non-professional instrumental musicians/music hobbyists of all skill levels and cultural musical traditions.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must provide your own acoustic instrument*, sheet music and music stand (if needed).
- Must be willing to spend time practicing (not performing) in outdoor public spaces at the Music Center and in Grand Park.
- Must be available for two hours on April 23 or 24 from 10:00am-12:00pm, 1:00-4:00pm.
*Note: Instruments that require electricity to amplify sound (e.g. keyboards) are not considered acoustic. This program is designed as a practice opportunity for instrumentalists, not singers/vocalists.
HOW DO I APPLY?
It's FREE and EASY - apply online, takes as little as 15 minutes! Apply now!
Deadline: Apply by March 15, 2014
Through a peer review process, amateur musicians are selected based on stated interest and understanding of Public Practice, as well as commitment to practicing music and recreational music-making. There is no audition.
All applicants will receive final notification by March 31, 2014.
VIEW photos from 2013 Public Practice ›
Information subject to change.