History of The Music Center
The Music Center complex, designed by architect Welton Becket, was dedicated September 27, 1964 and opened December 6, 1964 as a public/private not-for-profit partnership with the County of Los Angeles. The Center was championed by Dorothy Buffum Chandler, who was named by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors in April 1955 to head a citizens' committee to build a permanent home for the Los Angeles Philharmonic. She expanded the goal to include a performing arts center and raised $18.7 million in private donations at a total cost of $152,000.
The County provided the site and raised the remaining $14 million using mortgage revenue bonds. Construction on the original complex began March 12, 1962 and was completed in April 1967. The original complex was comprised of three venues: the 3,197-seat Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, the 739-seat Mark Taper Forum, and Ahmanson Theatre (honoring Howard Ahmanson and the Ahmanson Foundation), which offers flexible seating for 1,600 to 2,000 as a result of its 1994 redesign by Ellerbe Becket Architects.
On October 23, 2003, The Music Center opened the Frank Gehry-designed Walt Disney Concert Hall, expanding the campus to 11 acres. The 2,265-seat Concert Hall is home to the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Los Angeles Master Chorale. Walt Disney Concert Hall includes the 266-seat Roy and Edna Disney/CalArts Theater (REDCAT), the 300-seat William M. Keck Foundation Children's Amphitheatre, and the 120-seat Nadine and Ed Carson Amphitheatre. The Walt Disney Concert Hall was built at a total cost of $274 million.